Friday the 14th

Let me say to start off with,the lump they found is a fibroadenoma which is benign.
Yesterday was stressful but I have to say the staff at Westmead were wonderful.
We arrived and DH dropped me off so he could park the car ( just as well he did,as there were no spaces in either car park so he had to park on the street) I went in and told them I was there. There was another lady in the waiting room knitting which was lovely to see.

I went in and filled out some paperwork. I was very pleased to see that written on the consent forms it was written that you could remove your consent at any time during any procedure.
I had a mammogram and then an ultrasound. The tech doing the ultrasound took a long time and then said ” I’m going to get the doctor” my heart dropped. She then returned with not one but two doctors! They all stood frowning at the screen and chatting amongst themselves. Finally one of the doctors said he wanted to do a biopsy.
So I went back out to the waiting room and waited. I knitted a bit and read a bit. I was finally called back in with lovely doctor called Sue. She was just wonderful and very matter of fact. She tried to aspirate what she thought was a cyst but it was solid. It was a bit uncomfortable so she removed the needle and put in some local( I approved her doing the first try without local) then she went back in to get some cells. They popped it under a microscope and she was thrilled to tell me it was a fibroadenoma. She said they would sent it off for a official test but she was very certain it was a fibroadenoma.
Sue said she would ring me late Monday to confirm her diagnosis. They made an appt for me on Tuesday just incase.
I got dressed and was very relieved to be able to go.
We arrived at 1pm and left about 4.30pm.
I was pretty sore by the end of it all. My shoulder was very sore due to being held above my head while they did all the scans and tests. My hip was sore as I was propped up on a foam cushion and I discovered I had been clenching my teeth during it all.
The staff were all fabulous during the whole thing. Calm,kind and very respectful of your feelings without being mushy.
DH and I went for some tea at maccas and I treated myself to a raspberry cheesecake. The traffic was thick so it was about 6.30pm when we got home.
The girls asked how it all went and they wanted to know what had happened. I said ” well the good news is……I don’t have breast cancer!!!” They all looked a bit stunned and Miss Annie asked if that was what it was for. I said yes. I said we decided not to tell any of you as we didn’t want anyone to worry until we knew for certain and you had your exams. Miss Annie said ” thank you so much for that”.
I showed them the brochure they had given me about fibroadenoma and we talked about what had happened.
I’m so glad it is over. I was very worried. Thanks to all of you who supported me during this. You know who you are. 🙂

Now I just need to have a colonoscopy to check for colon cancer. The next mountain to climb!


One thought on “Friday the 14th

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s